GitLab is an open source solution for hosting IT projects, and the full cycle of collaborative development (from idea to deployment). It is based on the Git version control system. Comminity Edition(CE) - completely free and open source.
GitLab helps developers maintain a continuous deployment process for testing, creating and deploying code, keeping track of test progress, increasing quality control, focusing on building the product instead of tuning tools.
- Organization of public and private repositories.
- Rights management, groups.
- Importing projects, including from GitHub.
- Ideas and tasks board.
- Labels, milestones, templates, search.
- Commenting, merging.
- Integration with Jenkins CI.
- Tracking changes and progress.
The product was written by Dmitry Zaporozhets and Valery Sizov from Ukraine. The management office and CEO Sytse Sijbrandij is based in San Francisco. The code is written in Ruby and Go.